Masks, An RPG forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 42 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:07 pm
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Samsara Feast Hall
The Souk     Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2017 4:49 pm by Veric

» The Souk
The Souk     Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2017 4:18 pm by Veric

» The Front Desk
The Souk     Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2017 3:30 pm by Astor of the Paphos

» Fresh Blood Series
The Souk     Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2017 3:10 pm by DragonWithTheS

» Fresh Blood Series 1.1: Fortune V Bart
The Souk     Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2017 3:07 pm by DragonWithTheS

» The Arkham Inn
The Souk     Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2017 11:07 am by DragonWithTheS

» Fresh Blood Series 1.3: Veric V Razzak
The Souk     Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2017 12:35 am by DragonWithTheS

» Morrigan's Grove
The Souk     Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2017 1:36 pm by Razzak The Unchained

» The Dragon's Board Room
The Souk     Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2017 1:17 pm by Aster Hawthorne

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

The Souk

3 posters

Go down

The Souk     Empty The Souk

Post by The Brotherhood Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:55 pm

A set of low steps leads away from the cobbled Victorian street and to the teeming market that covers the riverbanks. Here, away from the grim stone buildings, exists a world of bright colors, shouting merchants, and surging crowds. The river is bridges in a dozen places with wooden footbridges, and colorful reeds of bamboo create a makeshift roof over great sections of the market. Here patrons peruse every type of item imaginable imported from across a dozen worlds. Everything from cooking ware to new weapons can be found easily, and normally with a cluster of similar merchants shouting down each other's prices. Occasionally a pair of crocodile-headed guards will slink or swim by, patrolling for thieves and vandals among the crowd.

The Souk     Captur10

Near the large bridge that leads to the arena itself, a series of stalls has been built out of sturdy mud bricks and designed to cater to the needs of fighters. Notably, a large open air forge manned by a fire and ice elemental spits sparks and steam into the air as the craftsmen create and enchant mighty weapons; a cat-headed armorer languidly shuffles the latest in armor trends around between a half dozen mannequins, and an
alchemist of particular reptilian eminence takes up the back wall of a purple and green tent.
The Brotherhood
The Brotherhood
Arena Staff
Arena Staff

Back to top Go down

The Souk     Empty Re: The Souk

Post by Veric Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:47 pm

Veric busily walked through the crowds, attending to every stall he passed and speaking with every merchant who would lend him an ear. He was beside himself with excitement. These never before seen items, baubles, devices, and knick knacks made his mind whirl at the possibilities. It was with a heavy heart that he could only steal a glance and glean information, for he had another objective in mind.

A new lab was what he searched for. He needed the tools of his trade, ingredients for experiments, and a place to research in peace. He came across a large building with many stalls of hard clay built beside it. The air grew hot as he passed by forges manned by creatures that appeared to be made entirely of fire and ice. The wonders these things could create once again distracted him momentarily causing a collision with a cat headed man carrying a rather cumbersome chest plate.

After a small hiss escaped his fanged mouth the Cat-man gave a shrewd look Veric's way. Veric gave an apologetic nod and pressed through the other stalls till he came to a large purple and green tent. Reading the sign posted before the entrance Veric grew hopeful. "Alchemists! Perfect!" He exclaimed. He strolled inside, already with a growing list in his head.
Veric
Veric
Arena Rat
Arena Rat

Bio : Pirate plague doctor. Seeks the truths of reality and a way to cheat death.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Brotherhood Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:03 pm

It had been a terribly slow day for Sobek. The snow outside kept calling out to his reptilian hibernation instinct, causing his chin to dip dangerously close to the counter on more than one occasion. To combat this seasonal sleepiness he had taken to standing and, when that produced a slouching, restful stance achieved by balancing on his feet and tail, had begun mixing up a new set of acidic bases using reeds that Ra had brought him recently. The occasional splash of wayward chemicals caused by his jerky, reptilian shuffle did not bother him, even as they hissed against his thickly scaled hands.

He completed his set and stored them all safely in heavy lead vials, hanging the belt of filled vials on the wall behind the desk. That task done, he considered the prospect of napping again, and was delighted when is reverie was broken by the masked alchemist entering his tent. He took the man in with one quick glance of his reptilian eyes, and broke into an immense, toothy smile.

"An alchemist can always recognize a brother in the trade! Welcome to my humble shop and, by extension, to my Souk. My little slice of heaven around the arena. Sobek."

He extended a short, stubby limb, still fizzing with spilled acid, then thought better of it and wiped it down with a rag.
The Brotherhood
The Brotherhood
Arena Staff
Arena Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Veric Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:51 pm

After the creature named Sobek receded the acid covered hand, Veric thought it best to greet the large reptile with a slight bow of the head. He saw many of such creatures threaten to crack the skull of trouble makers in the market. Veric was much attached to his. Best to stay polite. He then proceeded to remove his hat and pushed his mask off to attach it to a clasp on the waist of his coat. It made studying the quality of things much easier when you see it with the naked eye. He also felt that his need to hide his face and its unique features no longer mattered given the diversity of the market place alone. Verics long history of experimentation of many exotic substances have left his body permanently altered. His hair was short and had turned a blend of gray and white and his skin was pale as the moon. His veins were visible as they pulsed with his heart beat and had an almost black tint to their coloration. The contrast was that of oil spilled on the snow. His eyes were bloodshot and his iris was devoid of its former brown. Now all that was present was a dull gray.

"Greetings, Sobek." Veric said calmly. "I have need of many things. There was much I was studying before being brought here. I wish to continue it but I am in dire need of tools and work space."

Veric
Veric
Arena Rat
Arena Rat

Bio : Pirate plague doctor. Seeks the truths of reality and a way to cheat death.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Brotherhood Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:37 am

"If you joined the guild I would happily provide you with both, but we can't accept you until you have made at least a little name for yourself. Until them, I am glad to lease you out one of the back tents here in my souk. Let's say one favor between each of your fights, with two up front to get you stocked up with some basic supplies? I have no doubt you'll be garnering plenty of favor in the arena. In fact, one of the first champions was a student of mine and an alchemist, much like yourself."

The crocodile's keen eyes did not look away or break from Veric's disfigured face. He had seen his fair share of damaged warriors and alchemical accidents, and even damage this extensive was relatively light compared to some of the alchemists from the Old Kingdom. Although, to be fair, covering your face in lead and baking it under the sun was still a regular practice back then.

"Of course, that is contingent on you going through me to get your supplies. I do get a cut of everything from The Souk, but I would prefer it if you didn't use one of the other merchants for this. You'll love the tent. It's right on the water and, as long as you aren't bothered by reptiles, the neighbors are lovely."
The Brotherhood
The Brotherhood
Arena Staff
Arena Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Veric Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:47 pm

Being on the dependent end of a bargain was not something Veric was used to. Generally he set the terms, but he was not known here and did not know the full nature of how this place functioned. The unease he felt reminded him of when he first enticed the crew of the "Alexandra" to mutiny. He could not lead them. He did not have their loyalty, their respect, their fear. Veric allowed the memory of the simpler and more innocent time to pass. He rose to prominence through death and battle once. He'll simply do so again.

"Aye. Sounds to me like a right good deal." Veric said as he met Sobek's sharp eyes with his own. "However I wish to suggest adding another component to the bargain if you'll hear it? If I am to truly give you my full business then you must be confident in your stock and your ability to procure what I need. I do not enjoy waiting as some of my experiments are time sensitive so if I have need of an item you do not have in stock and then must seek it out then I would ask that you double the amount whilst I still only pay the original amount. Compensation for the wait." Veric cast his most determined look and stood with his shoulders squared and arms folded across his chest. His aim was not to intimidate, but to show he would not be so easily bought. His experience with the penny pinching of merchants has taught him to never just fully accept a deal drafted completely by the opponent.
Veric
Veric
Arena Rat
Arena Rat

Back to top Go down

Post by Moira Kelly Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:43 pm

(Elsewhere in the Souk)

Moira wandered around, looking at the stalls around her with piqued curiosity. She was grateful to The Morrigan, now she had a weapon and, at least for now, some alcohol to keep the shakes at bay. It wasn't until she left the grove and was already well into the Souk that she realized she had no idea how currency worked here.

She had the coin that she had received, but surely her people's currency wouldn't work in this bizarre place. She tentatively approached one of the shopkeepers. "Excuse me, but how exactly does currency work in this place? I need supplies for the battles ahead and need to know how to purchase them. Is there anything I can do around here to earn my keep?"
Moira Kelly
Moira Kelly
Arena Rat
Arena Rat

Back to top Go down

The Souk     Empty A Crocodile's Bargain

Post by The Brotherhood Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:39 am

Sobek flashed a toothy smile, his grin splitting his reptilian face and hinting at a bloody history. A past filled with careless washer women, lost children, and small pets. He generally tried to elevate himself above his reptilian urges, but he knew the best tactic as well as any coldblooded creature- wait long enough, give enough ground, and what you want will come to you.

"That seems completely fair. I'll even offer you one of my caymen as an attendant so you needn't wait for me if I am otherwise occupied."

Sobek hissed and rattled a bit and a short reptilian woman in a red and gold robe, a miniature of the very same robe Sobek wore, shuffled into the tent. She looked at Sobek for a moment, then nodded and shuffled behind Veric.
The Brotherhood
The Brotherhood
Arena Staff
Arena Staff

Back to top Go down

The Souk     Empty The Ox Speaks

Post by The Brotherhood Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:09 am

Roulf "Snakefoot" Harrmon was not having a good day. He had missed his last two payments to the Caymen, Sobek's eyes and fists in the market, and they were beginning to look at him... hungrily whenever they passed by. He assumed that setting up a hardware store would go over great in The Souk, but was quickly discovering that all of the gods tended to use materials from their home plane when building their lodgings, rather than buy locally. There was nothing wrong with his Ox-felled timber or Ox-hewn iron. In fact, he was sure it was superior to a number of the odd trees and softer metals that the pantheons used to craft their buildings, but in a world with (nearly) perfect weather sturdy materials were not as appreciated as in the mountainous homeland of his people.

The Souk     180px-Yakman

His reverie was broken when a red-headed softskin leaned- no, slumped, against his stall. Roulf would like to see the wildlings splintered wood stand up to that kind of treatment!

"You must be a new fighter, right? You don't need to worry about keeping up with cash or coins here- the dragons and merchants all have a running tally of how much favor a fighter has, and we all just sort of shuffle it around. Eventually we can get paid out from the dragons, but you don't need to bother yourself with all that. Everyone gets 3 favor to start with, and you can earn more by getting it from other fighters or getting donations from the crowd in fights. I appreciate a woman willing to work honestly for her pay, but I'm barely keeping myself employed here. No one really needs what I'm selling."
The Brotherhood
The Brotherhood
Arena Staff
Arena Staff

Back to top Go down

The Souk     Empty A Bargain Struck

Post by Veric Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:01 pm

The addition of the smaller female of Sobek's kind satisfied Veric. Though he was sure that he had played right into his scaly hands. Such is to be expected given the disparity between them. If ever you wanted to see who was truly in power, see who controls the money. But then a new query popped into Veric's mind. Will this attendant merely be Sobek's eyes or could he persuade her to switch loyalties to him? More thought on that later. Now is the time to finish up current business.

"I'll happily accept such a generous offer." Veric said as he greeted the smaller reptile with a nod of the head. "Pleasure to be working with you." He turned back to Sobek and sought to finally be done with this business. "It seems we have an accord."

Veric reached out his hand to shake on the agreement.
Veric
Veric
Arena Rat
Arena Rat

Back to top Go down

Post by The Brotherhood Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:27 pm

Sobek extended his stubby reptilian limb, sliding a bit closer to complete the shake. Somewhere, great scales shifted and 2 favor was deducted from Veric's account and added to the coffers of The Brotherhood of the Sun.

"I am glad we could come to an arrangement so easily. Perhaps, once you get a bit more prestige here, we can discuss you joining The Brotherhood and get you a proper lab and supplies back in the guild hall. You will find the workspace behind my tent already stocked, and there is a hammock and a few pieces of furniture in the back of the tent that you are welcome to make use of. Hebseba, your new assistant, can be contacted to restock the tent with basic provisions, and if you need anything more... exotic just let me know or have Hebseba contact me."
The Brotherhood
The Brotherhood
Arena Staff
Arena Staff

Back to top Go down

The Souk     Empty Time to prepare

Post by Veric Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:19 pm

Releasing his grasp of Sobeks clawed hand, Veric proceeded on to the back area to examine his temporary quarters. Basic tools and products of varying quality were organised about the place. Finding what he needed would be simple enough. Hopefully he still had time to resto-. His mind paused as he looked over one of the stacks of paper littering the desk. One of the parcels was a flyer on which his name was written. It was placed in a sequence with that of others and in bold, bronze letters at the top read "Bronze Division line up".

"Hebseba was it?" Veric asked. Instead of facing her to see whether his guess was correct, he flipped the page over onto its back and wrote down some notes using a pen laying upon the desk. He then presented the flyer to her and said "Fetch me these items and do be quick about it. Seems they do not waste time in this world so neither shall I". Veric then looked over what he had on him. His trusty cutlass, four of his custom flintlocks, and one vial of his enhancer serum.

Could he fight and win with just this? If he can't hit his target the flintlocks are useless, if he can't out match his opponent his swordsmanship means nothing and if he can't seal the win with his serum then he'll be left vulnerable. "What if I can't make it in time?" Veric pondered aloud as he slumped in the desk chair. He had become accustomed to weakening his opponents through his methods of delivering debilitating and deadly toxins and poisons.

Veric took a deep breath then unclasped the mask from his waste and affixed it back onto his face. After adjusting his hat back into place Veric leaned back and pondered. Maybe he grew too dependent on such things. It had been so long since he felt worry. So long since he felt such a rush to move forward. In death he had lost what little purpose he had in life. What was the point in living forever if death wasn't really an end, evidence being him still being him. What answers could he discover if he could make a name for himself here? A smile grew behind his mask as he recalled the name paired with his.

"And my journey to the truths of this world starts with your corpse, Razzack." Veric wispered then stood and called out to Hebseba "Also Bring me a book on Lizardman anatomy if you have one here!". After all, there may be some interesting parts to keep afterwards.
Veric
Veric
Arena Rat
Arena Rat

Back to top Go down

The Souk     Empty Meanwhile at the hardware store:

Post by Moira Kelly Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:25 pm

Moira looked around the store front and her eyes lit up with glee. She was like a small child that had been told they could get as many toys as they want from the toy store. "I don't know what your troubles were like before, but if you keep your doors open you'll always have my business!" She eagerly extended her hand, "The name is Moira, Moira Kelly. In my old life I was a hunter of beasts. I think this is going to be the start of a beautiful friendship!" Her smile was bright and genuine, this was someone who could help her do what she did best.
Moira Kelly
Moira Kelly
Arena Rat
Arena Rat

Back to top Go down

Post by The Brotherhood Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:13 pm

The ox clapped Moira's hand in his and smiled genuinely.

"Roulf Harrmon, but most just call me Snakefoot. I would be happy to provide you with the gear you need. My brother is a hunter, and I am sure that I could furnish you with some of the basics like Steel Jaws and some Razor-Leaves. Heck, seeing you fight, and win if the heft of your gear is anything to judge you by, could bring more business in. Just let me know what you need any time, day or night, and I'll get it for you and cut you a fair deal."

Roulf smiled, his large, square teeth gleaming.

"Pits, the first time a god turns up and says that they saw you using my stuff I'll take you out for drinks at the guildhall, my treat."
The Brotherhood
The Brotherhood
Arena Staff
Arena Staff

Back to top Go down

The Souk     Empty The start of a beautiful friendship

Post by Moira Kelly Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:29 pm

"Snakefoot it is! Let me take a look around your shop and see what I can't dig up." Moving around the shop expertly she found many toys that piqued her interests. She found rolls of thin razor wire, several bear traps of various sizes, the aforementioned razor-leaves and various other odds and ends for building just about everything Moira could think of.

I only have 3 favor, surely that can't be worth much, Moira thought to herself, I better pick things I know I can use now and save the complicated contraptions for later. She focused her search, picking up a medium sized roll of razor wire, a pair of bolas, and a good sized bag of caltrops.

Moira presented her haul to her new friend, "How much for all of these?"
Moira Kelly
Moira Kelly
Arena Rat
Arena Rat

Back to top Go down

Post by The Brotherhood Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:35 am

"I'll throw in set of human sized steel-jaws and we'll call it 3 favor. Does that sound fair to you?"

Snakefoot held out a hefty bear trap attached to a thick iron chain with a large post on one end. It looked as though it could easily snap an ankle, if not take a foot clean off.
The Brotherhood
The Brotherhood
Arena Staff
Arena Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Moira Kelly Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:37 am

"You got yourself a deal!" Moira said, taking the steel jaws from Snakefoot. "This should be everything I need to get going, hopefully it'll be enough." She began stashing her new bounty on her person, pocketing what could be pocketed and slinging what couldn't. I've killed more with less, but this next fight is surely going to be a tough one.

With her new tools in hand she bid farewell to her new friend and headed off towards the arena.
Moira Kelly
Moira Kelly
Arena Rat
Arena Rat

Back to top Go down

The Souk     Empty A melancholic turn

Post by Veric Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:18 pm

Veric was not in the best of moods. He lost his first bout and was now on his way back to his temporary accommodations with his meager amount of favor which may dwindle further when it came time to pay his benefactor according to their deal. All his fervor had left him. He certainly wasn't in any mind to work in.
Just then his stomach rumbled and the realization struck that he had not eaten since he died. Perhaps searching for a place to eat would lift his morale. Veric then strolled out of the souk whistling an old tune.
Veric
Veric
Arena Rat
Arena Rat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum